Ward Thanksgiving Dinner 2013

Tonight was the ward Thanksgiving potluck dinner, which was held at the stake center.  I went alone and brought garlic mashed potatoes.  We were asked to sit at a table with people we didn't know, so I did.  The only person I knew at my table was Kim and then Ryan and Paul sat with me.  There were four other women who were from out of town.  I introduced myself before they did and tried getting to know more about them, but the conversation was forced.  I had invited someone else to sit at our table, but she chose to sit somewhere else.  Once I was done eating, I took my things and decided to look for another table.  Most people were sitting with someone they knew anyway.

I sat with Anne-Marie and Doug and talked for a while.  I later circled the room a little and talked to other people.  I helped put some tables and chairs away and was stopped by Thamina, who is new to the area.  We talked for a while and she told me of an activity she was going to, and she invited me to go with her.  I said that I would and took down the information.  She was pleasant to talk to and look forward to getting to know her better.  Afterwards, I helped Darla with the Christmas cards to the troops that we were sending out.  Camille, who was visiting from Dubai, came over and sat next to me, so we talked for a while.  After I was done with the cards, I helped Darla take everything to her car and then went home.

It was a good night overall and it's nice to talk to people who are friendly and open to making new friends.  For everyone else who does not, that is their loss.