Today was a classic FHE at the church building. I arrived a little early and found four people there. Their reception was cold, but I put my treats on the designated table and helped setup the tables and chairs. It looked like they were expecting 30+ people and that's how many showed up eventually. I was at a table with three men and three women, two that I had met before. We went around the table and quickly introduced ourselves. Some appeared tired or less social, while others were ready to mingle.
We started off with a prayer and the host past some questionnaires around. It was a list of questions about dating and relationships in the early stages. Three judges were chosen, who would rate every team's answers. We were to answer according to what we thought the judges would vote for. When the game started, we went down the list of questions and helped each other come up with the best answer for each. When the time came, the host went around each table for each question and asked the judge to vote on the best answer. The winning team was then chosen (not mine, although we had some funny answers). The table next to us had some pretty textbook (boring) answers.
When it was time to mingle and have refreshments, a few people left (as usual). Those who stayed behind talked and I met a couple of new people and spoke to some who I already knew. I had brought some maamouls (date-filled cookies) from the Middle Eastern bakery, but not many people had some. I helped put the tables and chairs away and left feeling as though it was a good activity, but also that these mostly depend on the people you're with. You can have the best activity ever, but if people aren't comfortable or open and willing to make new friends, then it's just you hanging out with a bunch of strangers and never really connecting with anyone.