I wasn't lucky enough to be born in the Church. I didn't have parents who taught me about the gospel, primary, seminary, Sunday school, and other resources that the Church provides. There wasn't a support network of like-minded members who made sure that you stayed on the right path, who encouraged you to excel, and who set a good example for me to follow. I don't think my parents ever fed me Cheerios out of a baggie either.
I first felt the spirit after watching the restoration story and relating to Joseph Smith. I didn't know what it was supposed to feel like, because nobody ever described it to me, so I know that the feeling was original to me and was real. I felt it again during the April 2008 priesthood session, while watching a story about how the church was contributing to disaster relief around the world. I think that it was at this time that I decided to be baptized. As I prayed the night of my baptism, a force descended over me and was powerful enough to stop my speech and have me open my eyes in fear. It was a confirmation that what I was doing was the right thing and that I had found the right church for me.
It hasn't been easy and there have been some u-turns, detours, and bumps in the road. I've lost my GPS signal at times, but what's wonderful is when you get the signal back and it puts you back on track. I learned that the gospel is most valuable when you seek it, learn it, and have it in your daily life. There are many forces working against us and there may be setbacks, since none of us are perfects. The important thing is that we do not give up. Heavenly Father loves us and will give us as many chances as we need.