Institute - Day 6; Sariah and Temple Prep

I got there early today and Amelia was the only one sitting in the class; she was going over her notes since she was teaching tonight about Lot's wife and Sariah.  We spoke a little, but I didn't want to disturb her.  I sat in the front to encourage others to do so, since they seem to like to site two to three rows behind.  The class went well, but I didn't contribute.  The comments and answers given by a few knowledgeable people made me feel a little behind, and I have every reason to feel that way since I haven't been studying as much as I should have been.  I need to make time every day to scripture study and get familiar with all the stories and lessons.  Most of the women in the ward will probably expect me to know more about the gospel and be a good priesthood holder.  Being mediocre in this area will not make me attractive to any of them.

The story of Sariah and her family leaving everything behind and going off into the wilderness reminded me a lot of my family. When I was three, they had to leave everything behind in war-torn Lebanon and take me and my two siblings to Canada (the wilderness for us at the time). We lost so much and could only take what fit in our suitcases (I don't know what I looked like as a baby, since there are no pictures). My mother was actually the one who didn't look back, but my father had a more difficult time with the move, since he had a lot of success back in Lebanon. They did it for us 100% and would not have moved if it wasn't for their desire to give us a better life. My father was generally not a happy man, and often looked back at the good old days of Lebanon. We didn't have much in Canada, but we tried to make the best of it and were grateful.

After class, I ran into James, who is part of the temple committee.  We talked for a while so that we can get to know each other, and he scheduled a meeting for Sunday after church to discuss my preparation to return to the temple.  He introduced me to his committee partner, but she won't be there on Sunday.  He also invited me to join them on the temple baptism trip the next Thursday, which I am looking forward to.  I haven't been to the temple in a few years and look forward to returning.

I introduced myself to a sister named Sarah and gave Brady my check to pay for my room for the Memorial Day trip to Outer Banks, NC that I was invited to.  I left shortly after that.